Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Grandpa

My Grandpa was one of the kindest, most honest and all around loving men I have ever met in my entire life. I feel that having known him makes me a better person. I truly loved my grandpa with all my heart and really looked up to him. He was great at math and would drop whatever he was doing to help me with mine. He was God fearing and attended church every Sunday. He was very involved in the church and everyone knew who he was. When I was young, I used to go to 7 am mass with my grandparents and after we'd go to Bailey's for breakfast. My grandpa sat at the "men's" table with all his friends, and my grandma sat at a table with all the wives. He always had biscuits and gravy and I would go sit on his lap when I was finished with my breakfast and he'd give me a bite and proceed to tell all the men at the table how great I was. My grandpa was stern, but loving. If you were out of line, you could expect a swift thump on the head, but you would get a big hug and a kiss soon after. As I grew up, I learned to enjoy my grandpa's long winded stories of his childhood and other things he'd done. I learned that he was what a real man was and I learned that he loved his wife, my grandma more than anything in this world, as well as his children and grandchildren. He passed away when I was pregnant with my son, and a day or two before he passed, I visited him while he was recovering from major surgery in the hospital. When I left the room, he squeezed my hand, told me he loved me, and to "take care of that baby". It was the last thing he said to me, and I have carried it with me since then. I took his picture into my delivery room because I couldn't stand the thought that he would miss the birth of his first great grandchild. To this day, I still get choked up when I think of him. Heaven is a very lucky place to have my grandpa. Happy Father's Day to my beloved Grandpa.

No comments: